The Teaching Fellow in Public Health will contribute to the education activity of the School of Life Course & Population Sciences, providing high quality teaching to students at different academic levels and engaging in research to support teaching, learning and assessment innovations. The post holder will support the delivery of the online MSc in Public Health, working closely with the Programme Director and School academics. Public Health embraces a wide range of disciplines and the postholder should have a background in management and service delivery and/or health and organisational psychology. The postholder should also have an understanding of the UK healthcare systems and/or experience of working in public health.
This post will be offered on a fixed term contract for 2 years
This is a full-time post – 100% full time equivalent, 35 hours per week
Teaching & Learning
- Work collaboratively with the Programme Teams to support delivery and evaluation of the programmes
- Lead online public health modules engaging with preparation of content for learning activities, discussion board facilitation and online tutorials and webinars
- Act as academic tutor for students enabling students to meet the learning objectives of the programme and resolving enquiries
- Prepare and assess formative and summative assessments providing good quality feedback
- Perform such other duties as may be determined by the Programme Lead, commensurate with the grade of the post
- Supervise student dissertation projects
- Undertake pedagogic research to support innovations in teaching, learning and assessment
- Engage in continuous professional development to support quality teaching and learning
- Carry out administrative duties related to programme management and delivery
- Engage with and ensure that quality assurance processes and timescales for delivery are met
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
- PhD in Public Health related field, specifically health psychology and/or management
- Knowledge of Public Health policy and practice/UK health care systems.
- Knowledge of principles of teaching, learning and assessment at master’s level
- Supervision and support of students
- Ability to work effectively in a diverse team environment, sharing knowledge and skills
- Ability to work under pressure to achieve goals, meet deadlines and work collaboratively and flexibly
- Committed to equality, diversity and inclusion, actively addressing areas of potential bias.
- Completion of specialist training in public health
- Teaching Qualification
- Understanding of distance learning and online teaching delivery
- Excellent IT skills including knowledge of course creating and delivery on Moodle or similar VLE
- Track record of quality teaching in higher education and across different academic levels
- Co-ordination and administration of educational modules
Candidates are strongly encouraged to specifically address the essential criteria outlined in the Person Specification in their covering letter.