House of Commons
The House of Commons is a unique and exciting place to work right at the heart of the UK’s thriving democratic system.
Behind the scenes, the House of Commons Service is made up of more than 3,000 employees who support and facilitate the smooth day to day running of the House. They provide professional services to Members of Parliament, their staff, and the wider parliamentary community.
The House of Commons Library delivers high quality research, information and analysis for Members of Parliament, their staff, House staff and the public. It is part of the Research and Information Team (R&I) in the House of Commons, which also includes the Parliamentary Office of Science and Technology (POST).
The section manages the House of Commons Library’s online resources, important collection of books, pamphlets, Official Publications, serials, and newspapers, as well as the collection of hardcopy and digital parliamentary papers.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the busy Library Resources Section (LRS) which is part of the Library Services directorate within R&I.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and committed Systems Librarian to lead a team of five cataloguers and digitisation staff.
Some of the responsibilities for this role include:
- Line management and development of the Technical Services and Digitisation teams which includes direct line management of two members of staff
- Managing, developing, and promoting the LMS (Koha) for the House of Commons Library to ensure the best possible user experience and search results for users
- Directing the work of digitisation staff in your team and playing a key role in the further development and implementation of the digitisation strategy
Skills and Experience
To be successful in this role you will demonstrate:
- Hold a recognised library or information management professional qualification or equivalent role specific experience.
- Ability to demonstrate experience of using and managing library management systems, including experience of database querying with a willingness to learn Structured Query Language (SQL), editing of MARC files, and experience and understanding of web design.
- Experience of managing and motivating staff, or demonstrable ability to develop these skills, including setting realistic objectives, monitoring performance, giving feedback, and supporting development.
- Ability to work collaboratively and communicate effectively; including the ability to work inclusively within a team, and with a diverse range of customers and external suppliers.
Next Steps and Additional Information
If you would like to apply for this role, please submit your CV and covering letter with a 500-word limit.
The interview process will include a presentation and an interview. Further details will be provided if your application is shortlisted to the next stage of the process.
Please note that most job offers will be made at the minimum of the salary range, other than in exceptional circumstances.