About the team/job
We are looking for a Software Engineer to join our exciting EBI Search project. Our group provides worldwide reference data resources in interactomics (IntAct), pathways (Reactome), and systems biology models (BioModels), as well as infrastructure for biomedical knowledge management in the EBI Search and identifiers.org projects. EBI Search provides the central discovery infrastructure indexing more than 5 billion data objects across EMBL-EBI.
In an international context, you will implement advanced indexing strategies and support the integration of multi-modality data across molecular biology and related disciplines into complex web portals. You will contribute to resources which support international biomedical research.
In this exciting new role you will have the chance to:
- Contribute to the development of lightweight, efficient structures for the integration of data from multiple different domains;
- Communicate with internal, as well as external data providers across Europe to support them in developing optimal data discovery strategies;
- Contribute to the integration and indexing of the data, as well as providing it through user-friendly web interfaces and web services to the international research community;
- Collaborate with colleagues, using industry-standard best practices to create and maintain efficient, reusable and well-documented software.
On the conceptual level, you will have the opportunity to contribute to strategies using Machine Learning to optimise data discovery and user experience.
- Degree in Computer Science or a related field;
- Ideally, minimum two years experience in software development;
- Knowledge of REST APIs and how to interface with them;
- Experience with JSON, XML, Code versioning tools such as Git.
You might also have
- Experience in biomolecular or biomedical data and metadata integration;
- Metadata schemes like schema.org or DCAT;
- Docker and/or Kubernetes;
- Experience in collaborative development tools like Jira and Confluence to track your work;
- Use of Machine Learning, ideally in a data discovery context.
Why join us
Do something meaningful
At EMBL-EBI you can apply your talent and passion to accelerate science and tackle some of humankind’s greatest challenges. EMBL-EBI, part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory, is a worldwide leader in the storage, analysis and dissemination of large biological datasets. We provide the global research community with access to publicly available databases and tools which are crucial for the advancement of healthcare, food security, and biodiversity.
Join a culture of innovation
We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus, alongside other prominent research and biotech organisations, and surrounded by beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. This is a highly collaborative and inclusive community where our employees enjoy a relaxed atmosphere. We are committed to ensuring our employees feel valued, supported and empowered to reach their professional potential.
Enjoy lots of benefits:
- Financial incentives: Monthly family, child and non-resident allowances, annual salary review, pension scheme, death benefit, long-term care, accident-at-work and unemployment insurances
- Flexible working arrangements, including hybrid working of at least 2 days per week spent in the office.
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family (including all prescriptions and generous dental & optical cover)
- Generous time off: 30 days annual leave per year, in addition to eight bank holidays
- Relocation package including installation grant (if required)
- Campus life: Free shuttle bus to and from work, on-site library, subsidised on-site gym and cafeteria, casual dress code, extensive sports and social club activities (on campus and remotely)
- Family benefits: On-site nursery, 10 days of child sick leave, generous parental leave, holiday clubs on campus and monthly family and child allowances
- Benefits for non-UK residents: Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance.
For more details please see our employee benefits page.
What else you need to know
- Contract duration: This position is a 3 year contract, renewable to a maximum of 9 years.
- International applicants: We recruit internationally and successful candidates are offered visa exemptions. Read more on our page for international applicants.
- Diversity and inclusion: At EMBL-EBI, we strongly believe that inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation and creative thought. We encourage applications from women, LGBTQ+ and individuals from all nationalities.
- Job location: This role is based in Hinxton, near Cambridge, UK. You will be required to relocate if you are based overseas and you will receive a generous relocation package to support you.
- How to apply: To apply please submit a cover letter and a CV through our online system.