HITS, the Heidelberg Institute for Theoretical Studies, was established in 2010 by physicist and SAP cofounder Klaus Tschira (1940-2015) and the Klaus Tschira Foundation as a private, non-profit research institute. HITS conducts basic research in the natural, mathematical, and computer sciences. Major research directions include complex simulations across scales, making sense of data, and enabling science via computational research. Application areas range from molecular biology to astrophysics. An essential characteristic of the Institute is interdisciplinarity, implemented in numerous cross-group and cross-disciplinary projects. The base funding of HITS is provided by the Klaus Tschira Foundation.
HITS is looking for a Software Developer (M/F/D) to join the Scientific Databases and Visualization group.
The SDBV group at HITS is a partner in LiSyMCancer, a research network on early detection and prevention of liver cancer. HITS’ function is providing data management services, based on FAIRDOM SEEK, NextCloud, and OMERO in connection with REDCap and openBIS on other sites. We are interfacing, and in some cases contributing to these software packages.
- Developing software in agreement with colleagues and partners, applying an agile development approach including automatic testing and test-driven development
- Installing and administering the software, as well as related software, on servers of the SDBV
- Interacting with the diverse national and international users of tools and services, as well as with colleagues and collaboration partners worldwide
What qualifies you for this job
- A degree (university or university of applied sciences) in computer science, electronics, applied physics or similar
- Previous experience in web engineering and software implementation
- Ideally, you are fluent in a convention-over-configuration framework such as Ruby on Rails or e.g., in Spring, Spring MVC or J2EE
- Fluency in English is mandatory
- A problem-solving attitude, communication skills, willingness to continuously learn and work as a part of an interdisciplinary, multi-site (inter-) national team. Flexibility and an interest in science complete the profile
Please note that we can well imagine filling the position with two part-time staff with complementary skills.
The environment of this job
You will work in a dynamic research group led by PD Dr. Wolfgang Müller. You will be based at the Heidelberg Institute for Theoretical Studies, where you will find first-class research environment and outstanding computational infrastructure. The SDBV Group is attractively located in the “Mathematikon” next to the Heidelberg University and University Hospital.
- A fixed-termed position with the possibility of extension depending on circumstances at the time of renewal
- Option for location-flexible working
- An international and thriving work environment
- Extensive social benefits, such as:
- Subsidized cafeteria meals
- Job ticket
- Job bike
- Allowance for further training and career development
- Company pension plan and additional health care benefits
- Many more individually selectable benefits
- 30 days of paid vacation
- Family-friendly working environment
Learn more about Working at HITS.
For any additional information regarding the position please contact PD Dr. Wolfgang Müller
The position is available immediately. To apply, please submit the following documents.
- Cover letter indicating earliest starting date
- Curriculum vitae
- Relevant Certificates/Diplomas
To apply, click the ‘Apply’ button.
HITS gGmbH stands for equal opportunities and we strongly believe that our research benefits from inclusive and diverse teams. We are looking forward to receiving your application.