About the team/job
We are seeking two talented and enthusiastic IT support engineers to join our growing Service Desk function, providing both remote and on-site support to EMBL-EBI’s 850 users. You’ll be part of a friendly team providing first line support to a diverse user base, with requirements ranging from daily desktop issues (laptops, printing, connectivity), to supporting the provision of complex global bioinformatics services. We operate a vast and unique infrastructure both in-house and in the Cloud and you’ll be exposed to all of it, learning as you go and developing the skills to take your IT career to the next level.
Building on the experience you already have, you’ll get to know the systems we use, the technologies we employ, the processes we follow and the challenges we face, in an environment where no two days are ever truly the same.
In this role you will:
- Provide onsite and remote technical support to staff members and visitors
- Be part of a team acting as the first point of contact for all IT-related queries
- Ensure all technical issues and queries received are logged, tracked and actioned according to agreed processes and best practices
- Resolve or escalate tickets to the correct team within the IT department, following defined processes and procedures
- Communicate with end-users in a clear, professional and friendly manner
- Work ensuring compliance with ITIL Incident, Problem and Change Management processes and standards (training will be provided)
- Work with your colleagues in other technical teams to develop and deliver quality services
- Ensure the security and confidentiality of the personal information of our users and our data (training will be provided)
- Carry out team administrative duties as required
Qualifications, experience & skills
We don’t expect you to know it all, but we’d like you to have…
- IT industry qualifications or a relevant IT degree
- Ideally, a minimum of 1-2 years experience working in an IT support role
- A good understanding of IT in a professional environment, with experience configuring end-user devices and operating systems (macOS, Linux or Windows), computer hardware and peripherals
- Basic programming or scripting experience (e.g. Bash, Powershell, Python)
- Excellent customer facing skills
- Great interpersonal skills; you’re a team player
- A desire to develop your technical skills, particularly in supporting Linux
- Enjoy working in a busy and changing environment
- Problem-solving skills – you can troubleshoot & resolve technical issues effectively and efficiently
- You’re a quick and keen learner who knows when to ask for help
- You can follow defined processes and procedures accurately, without supervision
You might also have
It would be even better if you have further experience and/or knowledge of…
- Linux administration
- Linux email servers and mailing lists
- Computer networks
- Audio-visual and video conferencing systems
- Handling tickets in an ITSM system (we use ServiceNow)
We welcome applications from candidates who don’t tick all the boxes above, so please don’t be discouraged if your experience doesn’t quite fit – we will provide the necessary training for the right candidate.
Why join us
Do something meaningful
At EMBL-EBI you can apply your talent and passion to accelerate science and tackle some of humankind’s greatest challenges. EMBL-EBI, part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory, is a worldwide leader in the storage, analysis and dissemination of large biological datasets. We provide the global research community with access to publicly available databases and tools which are crucial for the advancement of healthcare, food security, and biodiversity.
Join a culture of innovation
We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus, alongside other prominent research and biotech organisations, and surrounded by beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. This is a highly collaborative and inclusive community where our employees enjoy a relaxed atmosphere. We are committed to ensuring our employees feel valued, supported and empowered to reach their professional potential.
Enjoy lots of benefits:
- Financial incentives: Monthly family, child and non-resident allowances, annual salary review, pension scheme, death benefit, long-term care, accident-at-work and unemployment insurances
- Flexible working arrangements
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family (including all prescriptions and generous dental & optical cover)
- Generous time off: 30 days annual leave per year, in addition to eight bank holidays
- Relocation package including installation grant (if required)
- Campus life: Free shuttle bus to and from work, on-site library, subsidised on-site gym and cafeteria, casual dress code, extensive sports and social club activities (on campus and remotely)
- Family benefits: On-site nursery, 10 days of child sick leave, generous parental leave, holiday clubs on campus and monthly family and child allowances
- Benefits for non-UK residents: Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance.
For more details please see our employee benefits page.
What else you need to know
- Contract duration: This position is a 3 year contract, renewable to a maximum of 9 years.
- International applicants: We recruit internationally and successful candidates are offered visa exemptions. Read more on our page for international applicants.
- Diversity and inclusion: At EMBL-EBI, we strongly believe that inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation and creative thought. We encourage applications from women, LGBTQ+ and individuals from all nationalities.
- EMBL is a signatory of DORA. Find out how we implement best practices in research assessment in our recruitment processes here.
- Job location: This role is based in Hinxton, near Cambridge, UK. You will be required to relocate if you are based overseas and you will receive a generous relocation package to support you.
- How to apply: To apply please submit a cover letter and a CV through our online system.