The King’s College London British Heart Foundation (BHF) Centre of Research Excellence is designed to nurture interdisciplinary collaborations and bench-to-bedside projects in cardiovascular research. The School of Cardiovascular and Metabolic Medicine & Sciences is a core constituent of the BHF Centre where the cardiovascular proteomics group is led by Prof. Manuel Mayr. The cardiovascular proteomics research group (www.vascular-proteomics.com) has the latest mass spectrometry equipment, established computational infrastructure and high experience in proteomics and multi-omics research projects.
The research work of the group encompasses a wide variety of wet and dry lab activities. These include molecular and cellular biology experimentation and support in specialist techniques. The post holder with work alongside the Schools Professional Services team, providing high quality technical support and assisting in laboratory research activities. It is expected that 50% of the time will be spent on ensuring the smooth running in the labs, including ensuring a high standard of cleanliness and sustainability within the lab, producing sterile preparations and provisions, servicing and maintaining equipment, management of chemical and stock supplies, and ensuring compliance with health and safety procedures as directed by the department. It is expected that 30% of the time will be dedicated to scientific services which support experimental research including aseptic tissue collection, tissue and cell culture and isolation of primary neonatal and adult cardiac myocytes from both mice and rats. The rest of the time will be spent providing experimental support for molecular and cellular biology experiments and participating in School projects and activities as directed.
This post will be offered on an a fixed-term contract for 2 years. This is a full-time post – 100% full time equivalent.
- Provide in-depth knowledge of technical or scientific practices, methods and procedures gained through experience and/or formal education
- Support a range of technical activities, providing research support and scientific services where there are established standards and requirements for service
- Ensure the smooth day-to-day running of the labs, including equipment maintenance and resource management
- Actively participate in Continuing Professional Development and training initiatives, in line with the Technician Commitment
- Gain a strong understanding of the laboratory users’ requirements and appropriately align with changing priorities/needs
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.