London WC1H (We operate hybrid, flexible working practices with 40% of your time per month being office based)
Join the ACU as Senior Administrative Officer and use your organisational skills and expertise in administration to help us build a better world through international collaboration in higher education.
The ACU offers a unique opportunity to make a real difference in the higher education sector. We are one of the largest, most diverse international university networks, bringing together over 500 universities in 50 countries. Championing the power of higher education to improve lives, we support our members – and our people – in contributing to sustainable development across the Commonwealth and beyond.
As Senior Administrative Officer you will be part of a small team which provides administrative support services to external membership associations, all concerned with improving learning and teaching in higher education. You will help ensure the ACU delivers a high-quality professional service to these organisations and build good relationships with their representatives.
You will provide senior level administrative support to two of those organisations, acting as the Administrator for the Heads of Educational Development Group (HEDG) and taking ownership of defined work areas for the Staff and Educational Development Association (SEDA), including events management, administering its professional development schemes, acting as the contact point for several sub-committees, supporting and deputising for the Administration Manager and supervising the work of the Junior Administrator as and when necessary.
Who are we looking for?
You will need:
- Experience of working in an administrative role in a membership association or higher education environment
- Experience of conference and/or event organisation and an understanding of what is required to plan and deliver a successful event
- Experience of servicing committees and/or working with committees
- Excellent organisational, planning and time management skills
- Ability to work autonomously and use initiative to tackle and solve problems independently but also knowing when to seek advice from senior colleagues
- Effective decision-making ability
- Ability to establish good working relationships with internal and external colleagues, including ability to act with tact and diplomacy
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Ability to be thorough and pay close attention to detail.
What to expect:
We see equality, diversity and inclusion as fundamental to our mission and we value the many different perspectives that people from all backgrounds bring to our collective performance (you can find more about our commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion and safeguarding on our website). We believe in investing in all our people and creating cultures in which everyone can thrive.
We offer a fantastic package of benefits including:
- 27 days’ annual leave, 8 bank holidays (pro rata – part time employees) and 4 Christmas closure days
- Generous pension scheme – 5% employee contribution, 10% employer contribution
- Enhanced maternity, paternity, and shared parental leave
- Significant investment into your personal and professional development
- Regular social activities
- Health and wellbeing programmes
- Give as you earn charitable donations scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Interest-free travel season ticket loan.
To find out about our benefits, flexible working, health and wellbeing and professional development, visit our website.
How to apply:
Apply via our recruitment portal, submitting your CV (maximum 2 pages) and a covering letter (maximum 1000 words) outlining how your skills, knowledge and experience meet the criteria for the role. Please also include your motivation for applying.
Please note that we will be shortlisting candidates on the basis of their covering letter, therefore it is important that you address each of the essential criteria (and desirable criteria if possible) – providing evidence and examples of how you meet them.
Closing date: Tuesday 12th September 2023
Interviews will most likely take place on Tuesday 26th September 2023