About the team/job
We are seeking to recruit an Event Organiser.
You will join a small peer group which forms part of the Training Team at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) located at the Wellcome Trust Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK.
Training is a core activity across EMBL-EBI, involving almost every part of the organisation and coordinated by a team of 26 people. The Training Team delivers a world-recognised programme that encompasses training delivered virtually and face-to-face to a global audience alongside self-paced online learning, up-skilling of trainers and secondments. The EMBL-EBI programme also sits under the umbrella of the EMBL International Advanced Training Centre (EICAT) where we work closely with colleagues across all EMBL sites to deliver the EMBL Course and Conference Programme.
This post is also primarily involved with the Industry Partnerships team at EMBL-EBI helping facilitate collaborations and knowledge exchange with the commercial sector though a series of workshops.
Detailed job description can be found here.
Your primary goal will be to contribute to the smooth running and high standards of EMBL-EBI’s diverse and highly acclaimed programme of industry and training events.
You will be responsible for the administration of events from initial concept to post-event wrap up.
The key tasks will include:
- A specialised focus on workshops within the Industry Programme, including a requirement for some overseas travel (US)
- International liaison with scientific speakers and trainers from invitation stage through to event reimbursement
- Communications and correspondence with event participants
- Control of expenditure on assigned events, and delegated responsibility for individual event budgets
- Working with customer relationship management databases and other events software to manage event registration, reviews, abstracts and other processes
- Coordination of event logistics including catering, technical, transport, international travel and accommodation
- Coordination of virtual event logistics including handbooks, video links and communication channels
- Programming of non-scientific content of events: social and networking provision, off-site dinners, etc.
- On-site and virtual coordination/hosting of events
- Preparing financial and statistical reports following events and collating information for funders and partners
To be successful in this role it is likely you will:
- Have been responsible for organising both in-person, virtual and hybrid events, ideally ranging from ten to more than 100 participants, from start to finish.
- Be comfortable planning several events simultaneously and will be familiar with the needs of professionals travelling to international events as speakers and delegates
- Be self-motivated individual with excellent organisational, communication and interpersonal skills, able to work effectively as a part of a team and keep calm under pressure.
- Have a strong service ethic is a prerequisite and the ability to make delegates feel well looked after is crucial.
- Have experience of database entry and management and a good knowledge of MS Office applications (especially Excel and Word), email and internet applications.
- Have excellent written and spoken English language skills and an ambition to work in an international environment.
You might also have
- There are no formal qualifications required for this role although a diploma or degree in an events or business administration related subject would be an asset.
Why join us
Do something meaningful
At EMBL-EBI you can apply your talent and passion to accelerate science and tackle some of humankind’s greatest challenges. EMBL-EBI, part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory, is a worldwide leader in the storage, analysis and dissemination of large biological datasets. We provide the global research community with access to publicly available databases and tools which are crucial for the advancement of healthcare, food security, and biodiversity.
Join a culture of innovation
We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus, alongside other prominent research and biotech organisations, and surrounded by beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. This is a highly collaborative and inclusive community where our employees enjoy a relaxed atmosphere. We are committed to ensuring our employees feel valued, supported and empowered to reach their professional potential.
Enjoy lots of benefits:
- Financial incentives: Monthly family, child and non-resident allowances, annual salary review, pension scheme, death benefit, long-term care, accident-at-work and unemployment insurances
- Flexible working arrangements
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family (including all prescriptions and generous dental & optical cover)
- Generous time off: 30 days annual leave per year, in addition to eight bank holidays
- Relocation package including installation grant (if required)
- Campus life: Free shuttle bus to and from work, on-site library, subsidised on-site gym and cafeteria, casual dress code, extensive sports and social club activities (on campus and remotely)
- Family benefits: On-site nursery, 10 days of child sick leave, generous parental leave, holiday clubs on campus and monthly family and child allowances
- Benefits for non-UK residents: Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance.
For more details please see our employee benefits page.
What else you need to know
- Contract duration: This position is a 3 year fixed-term contract (renewable to 9 years).
- International applicants: We recruit internationally and successful candidates are offered visa exemptions. Read more on our page for international applicants.
- Diversity and inclusion: At EMBL-EBI, we strongly believe that inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation and creative thought. We encourage applications from women, LGBTQ+ and individuals from all nationalities.
- EMBL is a signatory of DORA. Find out how we implement best practices in research assessment in our recruitment processes here.
- Job location: This role is based in Hinxton, near Cambridge, UK. You will be required to relocate if you are based overseas and you will receive a generous relocation package to support you.
- How to apply: To apply please submit a cover letter and a CV through our online system. We aim to provide a response within two weeks after the closing date.