About the team/job
EMBL is Europe’s life sciences laboratory – an intergovernmental organisation with more than 110 independent research groups and service teams covering the spectrum of molecular biology. It operates across six sites in Heidelberg (headquarters), Barcelona, Cambridge, Grenoble, Hamburg and Rome. Our mission is to perform basic research in molecular biology; train scientists, students and visitors at all levels; offer vital services to scientists in the public and private sectors within the member states; develop new instruments and methods; and engage actively in technology transfer.
In Italy, EMBL employs approximately 90 people involved in fundamental research and service activities in the area of epigenetics and neurobiology. EMBL shares the Monterotondo Campus with the Italian National Research Council (CNR) Institute for Biochemistry and Cell Biology (IBBC).
The Safety and Maintenance officer will perform their duties for the Rome site but will work closely with the central EMBL team to ensure coordination and best practice at EMBL Rome and across EMBL’s six European sites aiming at a harmonised pan EMBL standard.
You will report to the Head of Unit and to the Senior Building Maintenance Officer. You will liaise with the Head of Health and Safety Office in the headquarters in Heidelberg.
Role – Safety duties
- Implementing the EMBL Health and Safety strategy at the Rome site.Being in charge of fire safety; identifying and reducing risks, supporting fire evacuation planning/reviewing.Being in charge of biological safety, chemical safety and radiation safety (open radioactivity, laser) including the application and renewal, as appropriate, of permissions (including BSL2 approval, GMO license, radioactivity license, controlled substances permit).
- Being responsible for the safety training of EMBL Rome staff.
- Maintaining an electronic database of chemical substances used at the site.
- Performing regular inspections to ensure that laboratories and staff comply with appropriate internal and national regulations.
- Being responsible for the hazardous waste management including biological lab waste, chemical and radioactive substances.
- Regular updating of the EMBL Rome Safety Policy and other relevant safety documents. Ensuring that safety regulations comply with both, EMBL Rules and Regulations and with Italian law as far as applicable, and oversee the implementation of these safety regulations.
- Regular updating of the EMBL Risk Assessment Document.
- Providing advice, maintaining and monitoring safe working conditions, in particular with regard to biological, chemical and radiation safety in the laboratories.
- Being the first point of contact for EMBL Rome staff on safety questions.
- Organising and chairing annual meetings of the EMBL Rome Internal Safety Committee.
- Organising occupational medical visits for staff. Liaising with the occupational doctor.
- Organising first aid training for staff and overseeing the supply of first aid material.
Role – Maintenance duties
- Coordinating the Electrical safety activities and maintenance ticket requests between technicians and lab users.
- Overseeing safety checks of chemical and biological hoods.
- Implementing regular maintenance checks and specialised maintenance activities. for lab instruments and safety devices in coordination with laboratory experimental program.
- Being responsible for the management of the on-site instrument storage.
- University qualification in Biology or Chemistry and/or an appropriate qualification as safety officer in the area of biology/biochemistr.
- Ideally, at least 2 years’ experience in a similar position in a research laboratory or ideally, at least 5 years’ experience as lab manager in a biology laboratory.
- Excellent knowledge of Italian laboratories safety regulations and Italian legal requirements concerning biological, chemical and radioactivity substance.
- Good knowledge of chemicals.
- Excellent knowledge of Italian language.
- Very good working knowledge of English.
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and a problem-solving attitude.
You might also have
- Experience of lab work with radioactive substances
- Qualification in laser safety
- Computer literacy
Why join us
- We are a small, friendly, international environment with an informal culture. We offer attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organization:
- Financial incentives: Monthly family, child and non-resident allowances, annual salary review, pension scheme, death benefit, long-term care, accident-at-work and unemployment insurances.
- Flexible working arrangements
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family (including all prescriptions and generous dental & optical cover)
- Generous time off: 30 days annual leave per year, in addition to national & Rome bank holidays
- Relocation package including installation grant (if applicable)
What else you need to know
- Contract duration: This position is a 3-year contract, renewable to a maximum of 9 years.
- International applicants: We recruit internationally and successful candidates are offered visa exemptions. We will assist you throughout the visa process until relocation.
- Diversity and inclusion: At EMBL, we strongly believe that inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation and creative thought. We actively encourage applications from all genders and cultures, ethnic groups and all demographics.
- Job location: This role is based in Monterotondo, near Rome, Italy. You will be required to relocate in the Rome area and you will receive a generous relocation package to support you.
- EMBL is a signatory of DORA. Find out how we apply DORA principles to our recruitment and performance assessment processes here.
- How to apply: To apply please submit a cover letter and a CV in English through our online system www.embl.org/jobs