Location: St Katherine’s Dock Campus and Zone 2 Housing Accommodation
Hours: Monday to Friday (38 hours per week); hours to be discussed
Benefits: Generous benefits package including 25 days holiday allowance pro rata (excl.Bank holidays), group life assurance, group income protection, pension schemes and private healthcare (optional)
Start: 8 July 2022
The New College of the Humanities (NCH) is hiring a Residence Life Advisor (RLA) to be based in London, England. The Residence Life Advisor supports the physical, emotional, social, and academic needs of first year students studying at NCH.
In addition to supporting students and colleagues at NCH, the RLA focuses on creating positive and valuable experiential learning for students in the city of London and within the student residence. The RLA will work collaboratively with the Residence Life team and are supervised by the Residence Life Manager. The RLA must enthusiastically embody the mission and values of NCH whilst working and living in close proximity to the students.
This is an in-person position that requires the role holder to live in the student accommodation during and in preparation for teaching terms. This role consists of 38 working hours a week however as this is a new role flexibility will be needed as we collaboratively develop the role to best fit the needs of students and staff. Occasional evening and weekend work will be required.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate the activities, events and experience of students living within NCH housing provider’s accommodation
- Encourage student academic success and general wellbeing, respond to student concerns, and connect students to on-campus academic, medical and mental health resources
- Monitor behavioural policies and protocols, upholding a high standard of student conduct
- Maintain the safety and wellbeing of the participants by serving in an on-call rotation and conducting regular monitoring of student residences
- The RLA will work collaboratively to contribute to the development and overall success of the program
- Perform office administration to ensure the smooth running of the assigned housing block
About the College
Founded in 2012, New College of the Humanities has established itself as a prestigious higher education institution based in the heart of London. After becoming part of Northeastern University’s global network in early 2019, the College is undergoing a period of rapid growth, having been granted Taught Degree Awarding Powers in February 2020 and moved to a new, state-of-the-art campus in 2021. NCH continues to grow further, expanding its student cohort, courses, network, and opportunities.
Person Specification Criteria (Essential / Desirable)
- Demonstrated student/youth facing service or higher education experience in a residence life or student affairs capacity, which includes experience living with or working with high school or undergraduate students (in residence life, student affairs, camp counsellor, or any related role) [E]
- Experience with the challenges of living, working, or studying away from home with the ability to demonstrate intercultural sensitivity and global awareness [E]
- Demonstrated flexibility and experience with crisis management [E]
- Proven ability to work independently and as a member of a close-knit team [E]
- Experience managing events for groups with enthusiasm and attention to detail [E]
- Experience in any setting with Mental Health incidents and/or First Aid [D]
- Strong knowledge of the city of London [D]
- Knowledge of UK Higher Education Systems [D]
Applications should be made via this link by 20:00 on 8th August 2022. Please reference your application “RLA522”. Participation in the equal opportunities section is encouraged, but voluntary.
Applications must include a covering letter of no more than one page and a full curriculum vitae.
Applications are welcome from all sections of the community and will be judged on merit alone.
We may be able to provide visa sponsorship for this position, depending on the personal circumstances of the applicant.