< img src=" https://jobeternal.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/researcher-on-understanding-the-spatial-and-temporal-patterns-of-greenhouse-gases-emissions-using-socio-economic-activity-data.jpg "class=" ff-og-image-inserted" > The Cyprus Institute (CyI )is a European Non-profit Science and Technology oriented Educational and Research Institution based in Cyprus and led by a well-known Board of Trustees. The research agenda of the CyI is pursued at its four Research Centres: The Computation-based Science and Technology Research Centre (CaSToRC), the Science and Technology in Archaeology and Culture Research Centre (STARC), the Energy Environment Water Research Centre (EEWRC) and the Climate and Atmosphere Research Centre (CARE-C). Substantial cross-centre interaction is an attribute of the Institute’s culture.
The Cyprus Institute invites applications for an extremely qualified and inspired individual to sign up with the Institute as Researcher in Atmospheric Sciences at the Institute’s Climate and Atmosphere Research Centre (CARE-C). This will remain in the framework of the EU-H2020 “EMME-CARE” (Eastern Mediterranean and Middle East Climate and Atmosphere Research Centre; http://emme-care.cyi.ac.cy/; TEAMING Grant no. 856612), and in cooperation with EU Advanced Partners (Max Planck Institute for Chemistry in Germany; University of Helsinki in Finland; and CEA in France).
Description of the Position
Greenhouse gases (GHG) emissions from the Eastern Mediterranean and Middle East (EMME) area have actually been increasing rapidly in the last decade. Yet, the spatial information and temporal patterns of emissions remain poorly known in this region.
We seek for a junior or knowledgeable researcher in the field of information science/ atmospheric science to produce brand-new near-real time emission maps for GHG and contaminants in the EMME nations using socio-economic data such as vehicle traffic, power production and commercial activity and satellite information connected to emissions such as night-lights, urban land cover, land surface area temperature levels. The approach will utilize the most recent research study established by the international research effort Carbon Monitor (carbonmonitor.org). The methods will be reached mapping contaminant emissions.
The successful prospect is expected to develop a research study activity on modeling emissions of GHGs and toxins from industrial websites, cities and nations CARE-C (Climate and Atmosphere Research Center) at The Cyprus Institute, in Cyprus. The position is opened for an early researcher with experience in numerical modeling or an experienced researcher.
Supervision and/or co-supervision of graduate students, the development of research study tasks is urged and will be assisted in and supported by clinical and administrative staff at CARE-C.
The effective candidate will be expected to support new research study thrust with the greatest global standards, leveraging CyI and CARE-C resources (45 million euros in the framework of EMME-CARE) and using the extremely competitive research study facilities of the Cyprus Institute such as the “Cy-Tera” HPC (http://web.cytera.cyi.ac.cy/) and the Cyprus Atmospheric Observatory (CAO, http://www.cyi.ac.cy/index.php/cao.html) which becomes part of international networks (WMO-GAW, EMEP, ACTRIS, TCCON).
The rank of the position will depend upon the certifications and experience of the chosen prospect. The preliminary duration of the visit will be for a period of 30 months with the possibility of renewal, depending on performance and availability of funds. A globally competitive remuneration bundle will be used, which is commensurate with the level of experience of the effective candidate.
Responsibilities/activities to be associated with:
- Develop and use data-science and machine learning techniques to map time varying greenhouse gas/ contaminant emissions in the Mediterranean and Middle east area
- Compare estimates of emissions with national inventories
- Work collaboratively with the Greenhouse Gases Emissions Group at CARE-C and the SATINV team at LSCE
- Write peer examined clinical publications about the outcome of the research
- Take part/ establish brand-new research study projects with local stakeholders and research study groups in CARE-C and teaming partners (CEA, MPIC, Univ. Helsinki)
- Supervise and/or Co-supervise college student and staff working on the appropriate projects
- PhD in Atmospheric Sciences/ Physics/ Computer Science
- Research experience, consisting of publications
- Discussion of research study results to a series of audience (clinical, non-scientific)
- Development and application of mathematical designs, data science consisting of machine learning (e.g. In physics, computer technology, astrophysics, biology)
- A minimum research experience (including PhD) of
- Preferably 3 years for Post-doc
- Ideally 5 years for Associate Research Scientist
- Ideally 8 years for Research Scientist
- Handling of big datasets
- Fluent in programming (Python, R)
- Knowledge of analytical analysis tools
- Artificial intelligence/ data science
- Ability to work individually, along with working as part of a team
- Capability to develop/ get involved research study jobs
- Outstanding interpersonal abilities aimed at preserving contacts in scholastic, business and governmental circles.
- Efficiency in spoken and composed English is a prerequisite.
- Strong organizational abilities
- Understanding of European research programs (e.g. Copernicus)
- International movement (Europe, Middle East) for clinical partnerships
For complete factor to consider, interested candidates need to process their application at The Cyprus Institute Exelsys Platform (you will be rerouted there by clicking the above ‘Apply’ button) based upon the guidelines given. Candidates ought to send a curriculum vitae consisting of a brief letter of interest and a list of three (3) referees (including contact info) (all documentation must be in English and in PDF Format). For more info, please contact Prof Philippe Ciais ([email protected]!.?.!). Please note that applications which do not meet the required certifications and do not follow the statement’s standards will not be considered. Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. The Cyprus Institute is an Equals Opportunity employer licensed
from the Cypriot Ministry of Labor and likewise an HRS4R recognized Institution that follows the European Commission’s “Charter & Code “concepts for recruitment and selection. Contact person: Philippe Ciais Referral number: CARE-C_RMGGE_22_02 Click Here to Apply For The Job