The Cyprus Institute (CyI) is a European Non-profit Science and Technology oriented Educational and Research Institution based in Cyprus and led by an acclaimed Board of Trustees. The research agenda of the CyI is pursued at its four Research Centres: The Computation-based Science and Technology Research Centre (CaSToRC), the Science and Technology in Archaeology and Culture Research Centre (STARC), the Energy Environment Water Research Centre (EEWRC) and the Climate and Atmosphere Research Centre (CARE-C). Considerable cross-centre interaction is a characteristic of the Institute’s culture.
The Cyprus Institute invites applications for a highly qualified and motivated individual to join the Institute as Researcher in Atmospheric Sciences at the Institute’s Climate and Atmosphere Research Centre (CARE-C). This will be in the framework of the EU-H2020 “EMME-CARE” (Eastern Mediterranean and Middle East Climate and Atmosphere Research Centre; http://emme-care.cyi.ac.cy/; TEAMING Grant no. 856612), and in cooperation with EU Advanced Partners (Max Planck Institute for Chemistry in Germany; University of Helsinki in Finland; and CEA in France).
Description of the Position
Pollutant emissions from the Eastern Mediterranean and Middle East (EMME) region have been rising quickly in the last decade, causing health impacts, in particular for urban populations.
We seek for a junior or experienced researcher in the field of atmospheric air quality modelling to quantify the emissions of key pollutants in the EMME countries using satellite observations of NOx, SO2, CO and PM. The methodology will use chemistry transport models and inversion methods jointly developed at Laboratoire des Sciences du Climat et de l’Environnement (France) and the Cyprus Institute. The goal is to retrieve pollutants emissions as co-emitted species with fossil CO2 to help reduce uncertainty on CO2 emissions as well.
The candidate is expected to develop a research activity on modelling the emissions of pollutants from industrial sites, cities and countries in the EMME at CARE-C (Climate and Atmosphere Research Centre) of The Cyprus Institute, in Cyprus. The position is opened for an early career or a more experienced researcher with experience in numerical modelling.
Supervision and/or co-supervision of graduate students is expected, and the development of research projects is encouraged, and will be facilitated and supported by scientific and administrative staff at CARE-C.
The successful candidate will be expected to support new research thrusts according to the highest international standards, leveraging CyI and CARE-C resources and utilizing the research facilities of the Cyprus Institute such as the “Cy-Tera” HPC (http://web.cytera.cyi.ac.cy/) and the Cyprus Atmospheric Observatory (CAO, http://www.cyi.ac.cy/index.php/cao.html) which is part of international networks (WMO-GAW, EMEP, ACTRIS, TCCON).
The rank of the position will depend on the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate. The initial period of the appointment will be for a duration of 30 months with the possibility of renewal, depending on performance and availability of funds. An internationally competitive remuneration package will be offered, which is commensurate with the level of experience of the successful candidate.
Responsibilities/activities to be involved in:
- Develop and apply atmospheric chemistry/transport models to map time varying greenhouse gas/pollutant emissions in the Mediterranean and Middle East region
- Compare estimates of emissions with national inventories
- Work collaboratively with the Greenhouse Gases Emissions Group at CARE-C and the SATINV team at LSCE
- Write peer reviewed scientific publications about the result of the research
- Participate / develop new research projects with regional stakeholders and research teams in CARE-C and teaming partners (CEA, MPIC, Univ. Helsinki)
- Supervise and/or Co-supervise graduate students and staff working on the relevant projects
- PhD in Atmospheric Sciences / Physics / Computer Science
- Research experience, including peer-reviewed publications
- Presentation of research results to a range of audience (scientific, non-scientific)
- Development and application of numerical models (e.g. in atmospheric sciences, physics, computer science, astrophysics)
- A minimum research experience (including PhD) of
- 3 years for Post-doc
- 5 years for Associate Research Scientist
- 8 years for Research Scientist
- Handling of large datasets (e.g. satellites)
- Ability to work independently, as well as working as part of a team
- Capability to develop / participate in research projects
- Excellent interpersonal skills aimed at maintaining contacts in academic, business and governmental circles.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English is a prerequisite.
- Strong organizational skills
- Fluent in programming (Python, R)
- Knowledge of statistical analysis tools
- Knowledge of European research programs (e.g. Copernicus)
- International mobility (Europe, Middle East) for scientific collaborations
For full consideration, interested applicants should process their application at The Cyprus Institute Exelsys Platform (you will be redirected there by clicking the above ‘Apply’ button) based on the instructions given. Applicants should submit a curriculum vitae including a short letter of interest and a list of three (3) referees (including contact information) (all documentation should be in English and in PDF Format). For further information, please contact Prof Philippe Ciais ([email protected]). Please note that applications which do not fulfill the required qualifications and do not follow the announcement’s guidelines will not be considered.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled.
The Cyprus Institute is an Equals Opportunity employer certified from the Cypriot Ministry of Labor and also an HRS4R accredited Institution that adheres to the European Commission’s “Charter & Code” principles for recruitment and selection.
Contact person: Philippe Ciais
Reference number: CARE-C_RSEAP_22_01