South Kensington Campus
Starting salary: From £81,791 per annum for Chair;
From £71,448 per annum for Reader
Applications are invited from outstanding individuals for a Reader/Chair in Probability within the Department of Mathematics. The Department conducts research of the highest quality and has strengths in several interconnected areas related to Probability including Stochastic Analysis, Mathematical Statistics, Applied Probability and Statistics, Machine Learning, Mathematical Physics, Applied Analysis and PDEs.
You will work in the area of probability and/or stochastic processes, interpreted in the broadest sense. You will contribute to the academic mission of Imperial College London to deliver world-class scholarship, education and research.
Duties and responsibilities
You will be engaged with research, education, and administrative duties in alignment with the department’s strategy, goals and vision. Among your research duties, you will direct a research programme at the highest scientifically rigorous levels, supervise, train and mentor research staff and students, obtain funds and research grants and encourage and guide junior research staff to do the same, and establish links with industry. You will teach and examine courses at all levels, teach modules in probability and/or stochastic processes at all levels, and supervise PhD, MSc and MSci theses. You will also undertake appropriate administrative tasks in support of the department’s teaching and research activities and attend relevant academic or management committees.
Full information on duties, responsibilities and criteria can be found in the Job Description.
- PhD in probability theory or a related field
- An international reputation (commensurate with career stage) and expertise in the field of probability and/or stochastic processes
- A significant or sustained track record (commensurate with career stage) in attracting high levels of research funding
- Extensive experience in leading the design of research programmes
- An excellent record of research, evidenced by a portfolio of research publications, confirming national/ international standing (commensurate with career stage)
- Experience in training Undergraduate and Postgraduate students
- Experience in supervision of higher degrees (PhD)
- Evidence of management and administration experience
- Ability to communicate well, conveying ideas and concepts clearly and effectively
Please see our Further Particulars for more information about the College and the benefits available to staff.
For informal discussions about this position, please contact, Professor Grigorios A. Pavliotis, the Head of the Section, email: [email protected] Professor Xue-Mei Li, Chair in Probability and Stochastic Analysis, email: xue-[email protected]
Queries relating to the application process should be directed to: Mrs Maria Monteiro, Senior Appointments Manager, email: [email protected]
Closing date: 19 August 2022
We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We therefore encourage candidates to apply irrespective of age, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender identity, sex, or sexual orientation. We are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Disability Confident Leader and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.