Employment Duration: Continuing position
Employment Type: Full Time – 35 hours per week
Remuneration: Competitive industry salary
Location: Hybrid model of working from our Kensington, NSW Campus and working remotely
- Work at a world-renowned institution where new ideas can come to life and impact lives
- See the difference you can make, through the work you do
- Feel motivated and driven by the scale and dynamism of everything happening around you
UNSW isn’t like other places you’ve worked. Yes, we’re a large organisation with a diverse and talented community; a community doing extraordinary things. Together, we are driven to be thoughtful, practical, and purposeful in all we do. Taking this combined approach is what makes our work matter. It’s the reason we’re one of the top 50 universities in the world and a member of Australia’s prestigious Group of Eight. If you want a career where you can thrive, be challenged and do meaningful work, you’re in the right place.
UNSW is currently implementing a ten-year 2025+ strategy and our ambition is nothing less than to establish UNSW as Australia’s global university. We aspire to this in the belief that a great university, which is a global leader in discovery, innovation, impact, education and thought leadership, can make an enormous difference to the lives of people in Australia and around the world. This position, which is in line with our 2025 Strategy, emphasises our commitment to promoting equity, diversity, and social justice. For further information, see: https://www.2025.unsw.edu.au/
The School of Information Systems & Technology Management (SISTM) is one of eight schools within the Business School that comprises over 30 staff from all over the world. It offers a vibrant academic community engaged in leading-edge research, innovative teaching as well as constructive community and professional engagement. SISTM is one of the largest and oldest such schools in Australia. The School is currently ranked 1st in Australia, 2nd in Asia, and 11th worldwide (Worldwide) in the latest Association of Information Systems (AIS) research productivity ranking, and has highly developed local and international links.
Why your role matters
The Professor (Level E) position is expected to provide academic leadership and foster excellence in research, innovative teaching, and engagement activities in their area of expertise. If you have an expertise in cybersecurity, business analytics and digital transformation, this might be the position for you. The role of Professor reports to the Head of School and has no direct reports.
This position is open to Women applicants only. UNSW has obtained an exemption under section 126 of the Anti-Discrimination Act 1977 (NSW) to designate and recruit senior academic level D (Associate Professor) and level E (Professor) roles within UNSW Sydney Faculties where the percentage of women is below 40%, to fulfil UNSW’s goal of a representative workforce rate.
Visa sponsorship and relocation allowance will be considered and may be offered to the preferred candidate.
Accountabilities for this role include
- Lead and conduct original/innovative research at the highest level, actively contributing to the advancement of knowledge in the relevant subject area/s, while ensuring the publication of outcomes in high quality research outlets and translation to relevant stakeholders in the field of expertise.
- Make internationally recognised contributions to secure competitive government and industry research funding, and/or external education funding.
- Establish and influence research network/s (based on the norms of the discipline) at an international level.
- Apply a well-defined teaching philosophy and a critically reflective teaching practice that inspires student learning and cultivates a positive attitude towards teaching in both postgraduate and undergraduate courses in line with UNSW policy as an exemplar for others.
- Design and develop learning activities and resources, provide assessment and feedback at both course and program level using a range of suitable approaches and learning environments that inspires excellence in others by providing mentorship and peer review.
- Mentor and guide students and colleagues, as well as UNSW’s early career academics and postdoctoral fellows. This includes supporting early career academics to obtain research and/or education grant funding, including external competitive fellowships.
- Lead strategic initiatives that contribute to the engagement and social impact priorities (e.g., the United Nations Principles of Responsible Management Education and Sustainable Development Goals) of the School, Faculty and University.
Skills and experience required for the role:
- A PhD in a related discipline, and/or relevant work experience.
- A distinguished research record and international reputation evidenced by high quality publications in top tier Business and Information Systems journals (e.g., AIS Basket of 8, Financial Times 50); as well as premier IS conferences such as ICIS, ECIS, AMCIS, and PACIS and editorial board memberships
- Demonstrated experience in teaching and learning design using a range of pedagogical approaches, development and delivery of courses and programs, at undergraduate and/or postgraduate level.
- Evidence of being an inspirational role model for other academics seeking mentoring, guidance, advice and support.
- Proven leadership of research projects and leadership of research teams, including high quality HDR supervision.
- Proven leadership in developing significant productive relationships and engagement with industry and the community, with success in attracting significant industry funding.
To learn more about this position, our selection criteria, as well as view a more detailed description of the accountabilities and skills and experience associated with the role, please review the position description attached.
Benefits and Culture
- Flexible Working Options (work from home, flexible hours etc)
- Career development opportunities
- 17% Superannuation contributions and additional leave loading payments
- Additional 3 days of leave over Christmas period
- Discounts and entitlements (retail, education, fitness)
For further details on the benefits, please visit https://www.jobs.unsw.edu.au/lifestyle-benefits
How to Apply
Make each day matter with a meaningful career at UNSW. To be considered please upload your CV and a document outlining how your experience meets the skills and experience criteria (document up to 8 pages) and submit your application online. Interested candidates are encouraged to submit their applications promptly as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Get in Touch
For any questions regarding the position, please contact:
Professor Barney Tan
Head of School, School of Information and Systems Technology Management
For any questions regarding the recruitment process, please contact:
Senior Talent Acquisition Consultant
Please apply through the application portal and not via the contact above.
UNSW is committed to evolving a culture that embraces equity and supports a diverse and inclusive community where everyone can participate fairly, in a safe and respectful environment. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and encourage applications from people of diverse gender, sexual orientation, cultural and linguistic backgrounds, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background, people with disability and those with caring and family responsibilities. UNSW provides workplace adjustments for people with disability, and access to flexible work options for eligible staff.
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Please note: On this site, overseas organisations offer posts in overseas jurisdictions to which UK and EU equality law does not apply. Consequently, posts may be published which could be construed as incompatible with UK law, but which are entirely lawful within the employers’ jurisdiction, entitling them to publish the adverts accordingly.”