Postdoctoral researcher Platform (Sub)cultures
The Amsterdam School for Cultural Analysis currently has a vacant Postdoc researcher position as part of the broader field Humane AI. Within this field the focus is on data and platforms for social, cultural and economic innovation. The Amsterdam School for Cultural Analysis (ASCA) is one of the five Research Schools within the Amsterdam Institute for Humanities Research.
What are you going to do
The postdoc position in the Amsterdam School for Cultural Analysis lies in the area of ‘platform (sub)cultures’, which refers to both public-facing, mainstream social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube, and anonymous ones such as Reddit and 4chan. The study of platform culture often revolves around the notion of ‘platform vernaculars’ which are variously defined as the specific ‘participatory culture’, ‘discursive creativity’, ‘new media literacy’ and other practices and expressions of online belonging and in-grouping. Platform ‘subcultures’ range from fan cultures to forms of ‘dark participation’, especially by the alternative right.
We are looking for a postdoc working on any of the identified aspects of platform (sub)cultures, whose research is oriented towards identifying how platform (sub)cultures offer opportunities for social, cultural and/or economic innovation.
Your tasks and responsibilities:
- conducting research, presenting intermediate research results at workshops and conferences, and publishing at least two peer reviewed articles;
- participating in activities of the research school, department and relevant research priority area (Humane AI: https://humane-ai.nl/ and/or Global Digital Cultures: https://globaldigitalcultures.uva.nl/);
- co-organising knowledge dissemination activities;
- optional: contributing to teaching courses.
What do you have to offer
Your experience and profile:
- a PhD in media studies or a related area in the humanities or social sciences where the study of digital culture is central;
- excellent research skills demonstrated by a track record of publishing in high-ranking journals and/or with leading presses or a demonstrable capacity to develop such a record;
- a strong cooperative attitude and willingness to engage in collaborative, interdisciplinary research;
- enthusiasm for communicating academic research to non-academic audiences;
- excellent command of English.
What can we offer you
The Postdoc researcher will be appointed at the Department of Media Studies of the Faculty of Humanities at the University of Amsterdam and will conduct research in ASCA. The employment contract will be for one year. Contingent on a positive performance evaluation the contract will be extended with one year. The employment contract is for 30,4-38 hours a week. Preferred starting date is 01 October 2022.
The University of Amsterdam is the Netherlands’ largest university, offering the widest range of academic programmes. At the UvA, 30,000 students, 6,000 staff members and 3,000 PhD candidates study and work in a diverse range of fields, connected by a culture of curiosity.
The Faculty of Humanities provides education and conducts research with a strong international profile in a large number of disciplines in de field of language and culture. Located in the heart of Amsterdam, the faculty maintains close ties with many cultural institutes in the capital city. Research and teaching staff focus on interdisciplinary collaboration and are active in several teaching programmes.
If you feel the profile fits you, and you are interested in the job, we look forward to receiving your application before 01 September 2022.