The University | About us…
The University of Luxembourg is an international research university with a distinctly multilingual and interdisciplinary character. The University was founded in 2003 and counts more than 6,700 students and more than 2,000 employees from around the world. The University’s faculties and interdisciplinary centres focus on research in the areas of Computer Science and ICT Security, Materials Science, European and International Law, Finance and Financial Innovation, Education, Contemporary and Digital History. In addition, the University focuses on cross-disciplinary research in the areas of Data Modelling and Simulation as well as Health and System Biomedicine. Times Higher Education ranks the University of Luxembourg #3 worldwide for its “international outlook,” #20 in the Young University Ranking 2021 and among the top 250 universities worldwide.
The Luxembourg Centre for Contemporary and Digital History (C2DH) is a research centre for the study, analysis and public dissemination of contemporary history of Luxembourg and Europe with a particular focus on digital methods and tools for doing innovative historical research. It serves as a catalyst for innovative and creative scholarship and new forms of public dissemination and societal engagement with history.
The Luxembourg Centre for Contemporary and Digital History (C2DH) is looking to hire a postdoctoral researcher to work on Tropy (https://tropy.org), a grant-funded research project sponsored by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. Operating since 2015, Tropy is a multi-year research project which has developed a widely used free and open-source software application for archival research. In order to promote the use of Tropy and improve Tropy’s support of varying types of users, we seek to hire a postdoctoral researcher to join our small outreach and development team who will work under the supervision of the project’s principal investigator.
- You will develop training modules around the use of Tropy by researchers, archivists, and librarians of varying skill levels;
- You will draft new Tropy documentation in a non-English language;
- You will gather feedback from Tropy users (and prospective users) on researcher needs;
- You will work to develop and execute an outreach plan in coordination with the project PI and US-based co-PI;
- You will be responsible for European-based Tropy outreach to be conducted virtually and on-site in coordination with the US-based co-PI.
What we expect from you…
- PhD in history or a related field;
- Passionate about using technology to conduct historical research;
- Experience working in physical or digital archives;
- Interest or experience in outreach and public speaking;
- Good command of English and at least one other language.
- Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract 18 Month
- Work Hours: Full Time 40.0 Hours per Week
- Location: Belval
- Job Reference: UOL04994
The yearly gross salary for every Postdoctoral Researcher at the UL is EUR 77.167,08 (full time)
How to apply…
Applications should be submitted online and include:
- a cover letter indicating your motivation for this project, relevant experience and future interests;
- a full curriculum vitae, including any publications;
- the contact details of two referees;
- a copy of the relevant diplomas.
Early application is highly encouraged, as the applications will be processed upon reception. Please apply formally through the HR system. Applications by email will not be considered.
The University of Luxembourg embraces inclusion and diversity as key values. We are fully committed to removing any discriminatory barrier related to gender, and not only, in recruitment and career progression of our staff.
In return you will get…
- Multilingual and international character. Modern institution with a personal atmosphere. Staff coming from 90 countries. Member of the “University of the Greater Region” (UniGR).
- A modern and dynamic university. High-quality equipment. Close ties to the business world and to the Luxembourg labour market. A unique urban site with excellent infrastructure.
- A partner for society and industry. Cooperation with European institutions, innovative companies, the Financial Centre and with numerous non-academic partners such as ministries, local governments, associations, NGOs …
Please contact: [email protected]