Location: South Kensington Campus
Imperial College London Library Services are looking for an enthusiastic, flexible and motivated Library Assistant to join our User Services team, supporting the provision of efficient and effective library services to meet the learning, teaching and research needs of our users.
The role focuses on front of house user support and a high standard of customer care is required. The postholder is also assigned administrative tasks to support the front of house activities.
Duties and responsibilities
- Welcoming library users and dealing with all enquiries received via phone, email or in person at the Information Hub
- Assisting library users to locate print and online publications and explain how to use e-journals and databases.
- Day-to-day operation of the team’s Service Now (ASK), the online library chat module LibChat and LibAnswers and issue desk mailbox, answering standard and non-standard enquiries
- Creating user records on the Library Management System ensuring users provide the correct documentation to access the library
- At least 5 GCSEs grade A-C, or equivalent qualifications
- Experience of providing a frontline library service
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- A team player, flexible and co-operative, coupled with the ability to manage own workload and use own initiative.
- Care and attention to detail, and a methodical approach to work
The post is a part-time, permanent post. The standard working days will be Monday and Tuesday 9.30 – 17.30, Wednesday 09.30 – 13.00 but you will normally work at least one early shift per week (8.30 – 16.30) and one late shift until no later than 21.00. You will also work one weekend day (Saturday 10.00 – 18.00 or Sunday 11.00 – 19.00) on a termly rota, usually once every 4 weeks.
Although based at South Kensington, there may be occasional need to cover service points at our other campus libraries.
For queries regarding the post please contact Kevin Ashby (User Services Manager: Information Hub) 020 7594 7496, [email protected]
Candidates will need to complete an online application with a statement. Submissions of CVs alone will not be considered.
The College has a Race Equality Charter action plan in place, running initially for 3 years from 2021, receiving the bronze award in November 2021. There are several staff representation networks:
The Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) Centre provides advice, guidance and training for all staff to raise awareness of equality, diversity and inclusion, with senior leadership support including that of the Assistant Provost for EDI.
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment. We are an Athena SWAN Silver award winner, a Stonewall Diversity Champion, a Disability Confident Employer and work in partnership with GIRES to promote respect for trans people.
Closing date: 06/07/2023