Pūkenga/Lecturer in Religious Studies
- Do you have a PhD in Religious Studies, or a relevant field?
- Are you a dynamic scholar-teacher who will complement the current staff’s research expertise?
- Do you have demonstrated excellence in undergraduate teaching related to religion?
Mō Te Herenga Waka – About our University
Te Herenga Waka – Victoria University of Wellington is a global-civic university with our marae at our heart. This iho draws off our heritage and is further defined by our tūrangawaewae, in particular Wellington, Aotearoa, and the Asia-Pacific, all of which are expressed in our position as Aotearoa New Zealand’s globally ranked capital city university.
Our core ethical values are respect, responsibility, fairness, integrity, and empathy. These core ethical values are demonstrated in our commitment to sustainability, wellbeing, inclusivity, equity, diversity, collegiality, and openness. With, and as, tangata whenua, we value Te Tiriti o Waitangi, rangatiratanga, manaakitanga, kaitiakitanga, whai mātauranga, whanaungatanga, and akoranga.
Kōrero mō te tūranga – About the role
Te Herenga Waka – Victoria University of Wellington is currently recruiting a permanent full-time Lecturer in Religious Studies. The successful applicant would ideally commence work in February 2023.
Key responsibilities include the following:
- Contributing to introductory and upper-level courses across contemporary themes in Religious Studies
- Developing new curricula building on the successful applicant’s expertise
- Supervising MA and PhD research on a broad range of topics in Religious Studies, including research on religion in Aotearoa New Zealand
- Contributing to the research culture of the programme and continuing development of our internationally recognized scholarship
Ō pūmanawa – About you
You will be a dynamic scholar-teacher who will complement the current staff’s research expertise. Area of research specialization is open, however expanding the expertise within the Programme is a priority.
Key requirements include the following:
- A PhD in Religious Studies, or a relevant field
- Demonstrated excellence in undergraduate teaching related to religion
- A developing research profile of emerging international standing
- Commitment to public engagement
Ētahi kōrero hai āwhina i a koe – Why you should join our team
Te Herenga Waka – Victoria University of Wellington is New Zealand’s first-ranked university for research, and its Religious Studies programme has an outstanding record and reputation in its teaching, public engagement, and research.
Applications should include a letter of interest addressing teaching philosophy and goals, and a curriculum vitae with the name of three referees.
Contact details for vacancy
If you have any questions regarding this role please get in touch with Dr Geoff Troughton, Programme Director ([email protected]). But applicants should follow all steps listed below.
Important – Application steps and information
For applicants who are not NZ Citizens or Permanent Residents, we recommend you check the NZ Immigration website for updates related to Covid-19 restrictions on entry to New Zealand: https://www.immigration.govt.nz/about-us/Covid-19
Download and complete the University Application Form
Click Apply Now, follow the process to enter your contact details and add your CV in the online form.
Please include a cover letter in your application, telling us why you’re a great fit for this position then email the completed application form, cover letter and CV or any other supporting documentation to [email protected] stating the reference number and position title from the advert in the subject line.
Applications close on Monday, 25 July 2022.