Closing Date: 16/07/23
Interviews are likely to be held on 26/07/23
St Mary’s is on an exciting journey of transformation and growth, to benefit students, staff and the wider St Mary’s community. As the University builds on its proud heritage, it will be looking for exceptional people to help shape its progressive future.
Employability Services comprises the careers service, a placements team and an academic team known as the Centre for Workplace Learning (CWL). The CWL lecturing team are responsible for delivering a wide range of accredited, academic work placement modules at both undergraduate and post graduate level. Our specialised modules include those focussing on a range of subjects including Business, Sport, Education and Entrepreneurship. These modules are designed to enable students to develop their employability skills and to enhance professional practice. The majority of modules incorporate a period of work experience which run alongside the lectures and the lecturing team work closely with the placements team, supporting students in their placement journey.
We are looking to recruit an innovative and adaptable Lecturer to join our team within the CWL. Candidates should be able to demonstrate an enthusiasm and aptitude for the enhancement of student learning at both undergraduate and postgraduate level, including the development of employability skills. A commitment to innovation in teaching and curriculum development and a passion for pastoral support are key requirements. An ability to inspire and engage students using active teaching methods and supporting experiential learning is also a necessity.
Above all, we are seeking a real team player with a passion for pastoral support with an appreciation of and dedication to supporting students from a range of backgrounds. Candidates must also possess an ability and interest in developing strategic relationships with both colleagues and external stakeholders.
To be considered for this position, the successful candidate must hold a degree (preferably at postgraduate level) and have knowledge and/or experience of working in a specific subject knowledge area related to one or more of the following: business, sport, entrepreneurship, charity/non-profits, education.
Candidates will also possess:
- Teaching experience within Higher Education with a specific focus on enhancement and development of employability skills and personal and professional development
- An understanding of the value of work experience and placements for students
- Proven experience of working as part of a professional team
- An understanding of the needs of graduate employers across a range of disciplines and sectors
- An understanding of the Employability agenda in Higher Education
- Commitment to and experience of motivating, mentoring and supporting students with a range of needs and the ability to adapt practice accordingly
- Ability and willingness to work effectively as a member of a team, share good practice and learn from others and co-teach where needed
- Excellent IT, administrative and organisational skills and the ability to plan and execute complex and varied workload
- An understanding of the needs of a range of learners and the ability to develop and adapt practice accordingly
- Possession of high level of communication, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Awareness of issues of diversity and inclusion in Higher Education
The University offers academic and professional development and provides a Post Graduate Certificate Teaching Qualification for Academic Staff who do not hold a recognised teaching qualification