Contract Duration-Length of Time (years/months):
3 years (renewable)
About the team/job
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Pay, Benefits and HR Analytics, the Human Resources Officer is acting as one of four Operations team members responsible for managing inquiries from and providing services to all members of personnel (MOP) at five EMBL sites (Heidelberg, Hamburg, Barcelona, Grenoble, Rome) and the relevant data maintenance in SAP.
More specifically, in your role as HR Officer, you will:
- Provide advice, guidance and information to MOP for units under your areas of responsibility on the application and implementation of EMBL HR rules and regulations, policies and procedures concerning entitlements and benefits, as well as social security coverage.
- Determine benefits & entitlements in line with EMBL regulatory framework.
- Assist in resolving complex compensation and benefits related issues and problems by conducting necessary research and fact finding, and preparing drafts and related documentation for review by the supervisor.
- Maintain human resources information systems to keep master data regularly updated in SAP, including for payroll purposes.
- Participate in and contribute to special projects and/or working groups as assigned.
- Provide absence coverage for members within the team.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Ideally, at least five years of relevant HR experience in similar areas of responsibility, sound knowledge and experience with ERP systems (preferably SAP) is essential.
- As our ideal candidate you will hold a university degree in Human Resources Management, Business Administration, Law, or other relevant disciplines.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of German is desirable.
Key competencies are:
- A conscientious attitude, high numerical accuracy.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work independently in your area of responsibility, yet seek guidance when required.
- Ability to work and deliver quality results under pressure and with tight deadlines.
- Able to work in a standalone capacity, but also in a team setting while building and fostering a harmonious working team environment in a multicultural environment.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills and customer orientation, providing a high level of professional service to all EMBL staff.
- Excellent computer skills, knowledge of Microsoft Office especially EXCEL.
- Ability to present information or draft materials in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to analyse complicated matters offering different perspectives and problem solving.
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
You might also have
Experience of human resources management with a thorough understanding of the interpretation and application of staff rules and regulations in international environment is highly desirable.
Why join us
EMBL is curiosity-driven, community-oriented and international. As an inclusive, equal opportunity employer, we believe that diversity enables us to collaborate more effectively and be innovative in our approaches. We are, therefore, committed to creating an inclusive and flexible culture – one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation.
We encourage applications from individuals who can complement our existing team – we believe that success is built on having teams whose backgrounds and personal experiences reflect the diversity of the populations that our science serves. We actively encourage applications from all genders and cultures, ethnic groups and all demographics to help us avoid perpetuating biases and oversights at this transformational point in our people strategy.
EMBL offers attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family-friendly working environment. Competitive salary and social security benefits, financial support for relocation, a relaxed culture, professional development, an on-site nursery, canteen and other staff facilities make EMBL a great place to work.
**Don’t meet every single requirement? We are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply nevertheless.
What else you need to know
We are Europe’s research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with more than 1900 employees from many nations, operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (HQ), Barcelona, Hinxton near Cambridge, Hamburg, Grenoble and Rome.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.
If you feel you have the right skills and experience, please apply online submitting your CV and cover letter.