About the team/job
We are seeking talented IT help desk technician to work with 85 IT professionals who provide High Performance Computing, Web Services, Enterprise Infrastructure and Networking to the EBI’s 850 users. Working in our End User Support team you will support the service desk function providing first line assistance to EMBL-EBI’s scientific and technical users.
This role will develop your IT support & communication skills whilst learning the environment, the processes, the technology we use and how EBI operates.
- Provide day to day customer focused service desk support to EBI users
- Act as the first point of contact for IT related queries
- Ensure IT requests are logged into the service desk system
- Carry out administrative duties as required to do so by the Desktop Support Team Manager
- Escalation of tickets to the correct team within the Technical Services Cluster, following process and procedures as appropriate
- Communicate with end-users to identify the extent of a technical issue and convey the planned method of resolution in a clear manner
- Work to ensure compliance with FitSM (ITIL equivalent) Incident, Problem and
- Change Management processes and standards
- To work in conjunction with and comply to other technical teams to achieve and deliver quality services
- Ensure the security and confidentiality of personal information of users and EBI data
Applicants should have a IT knowledge
Additionally, evidence of the following are required;
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent English communication (both written & oral) skills
- Ability to work under pressure within a busy working environment
- Problem solving, an ability to understand & resolve technical issues
- Good understanding of basic IT technology
- Ability to learn quickly, follow written processes and procedures accurately
- Knowledge of Linux, Windows or MacOS would be beneficial
Why join us
Do something meaningful
At EMBL-EBI you can apply your talent and passion to accelerate science and tackle some of humankind’s greatest challenges. EMBL-EBI, part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory, is a worldwide leader in the storage, analysis and dissemination of large biological datasets. We provide the global research community with access to publicly available databases and tools which are crucial for the advancement of healthcare, food security, and biodiversity.
Join a culture of innovation
We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus, alongside other prominent research and biotech organisations, and surrounded by beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. This is a highly collaborative and inclusive community where our employees enjoy a relaxed atmosphere. We are committed to ensuring our employees feel valued, supported and empowered to reach their professional potential.
Enjoy lots of benefits:
- Flexible working arrangements
- Generous time off: 30 days annual leave per year, in addition to eight bank holidays
- Relocation package including installation grant (if applicable)
- Campus life: Free shuttle bus to and from work, on-site library, subsidised on-site gym and cafeteria, casual dress code, extensive sports and social club activities (on campus and remotely)
- Family benefits: On-site nursery, 10 days of child sick leave, generous parental leave, and holiday clubs on campus
- Benefits for non-UK residents: Visa exemption
What else you need to know
- Contract duration: This position is a 3-6 month contract with the possibility of an extension, this is an urgent cover required therefore we need the suitable candidate to be available immediately
- International applicants: We recruit internationally and successful candidates are offered visa exemptions. Read more on our page for international applicants.
- Diversity and inclusion: At EMBL-EBI, we strongly believe that inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation and creative thought. We encourage applications from women, LGBTQ+ and individuals from all nationalities.
- Job location: This role is based in Hinxton, near Cambridge, UK. You will be required to relocate if you are based overseas and you will receive a generous relocation package to support you.
- How to apply: To apply please submit a cover letter and a CV through our online system