UAL is currently seeking governors with a commitment to its values, aims and objectives, as well as a passion for artistic and/or creative disciplines.
In particular, we are seeking up to four new governors who have a professional background in at least one of the following fields:
- HE leadership.
- Public policy / HE policy.
- Creative practitioners (e.g. fashion industry, fine art, performing art, design, film and broadcasting practitioners).
- Strategic Consultancy / Accountancy / Finance.
Governors are expected to:
- Ensure that the governing body (known as “the Court of Governors”) exercises efficient and effective use of the resources of the University, maintains its long-term financial viability, and safeguards its assets.
- Ensure that the governing body exercises control over the strategic direction of the University, and assesses performance against strategic objectives.
- Ensure that the University, as a higher education corporation and a charity, complies with its legal and regulatory obligations, and that it pursues its charitable objectives.
- Act fairly and impartially at all times in the interests of the University as a whole, using independent judgement and maintaining confidentiality as appropriate.
- Devote sufficient time to attending Court of Governors meetings, committee meetings and other university events.
Governors are expected to attend at least four board meetings and three committee meetings per year; an annual strategy day; and other University events (e.g. award ceremonies and student shows). Whilst online attendance may be possible for some meetings, it is expected that an element of in-person attendance will be required for certain aspects of this role. In-person meetings are held in in central London.
Governors may also be called upon to participate in email-decisions, appeal committees and other ad-hoc meetings from time to time.
Why choose us?
University of the Arts London (UAL) is a world-leading creative university for teaching and research in art, design, fashion, communication and performing arts. UAL is made up of six renowned colleges.
- Relevant Professional Background: Successful candidates will bring significant experience to the Court of Governors, with a senior-level background or recognised standing in at least one of the following fields: HE leadership, public policy, HE policy, strategic consultancy, accountancy, finance, or creative practice.
- Contribution to Committee meetings: Successful candidates will have the ability to devote time and expertise to at least one of the Court’s Committees; will have a strong understanding of the stewardship role, with the ability to provide strategic input into key UAL strategies.
- Non-Executive / trustee experience: The ideal candidates will have prior experience of acting as a trustee, governor or non-executive director.
Process and Timeline
Candidates are invited to send CVs with a covering statement to: [email protected]
Deadline for applications: 22nd August 2022.
Shortlisted applications will be considered by members of UAL’s Nominations Committee.
Interviews will take place in mid-September, with the aim of the successful candidate commencing in October.
UAL is committed to creating diverse and inclusive environments for all staff and students to work and learn – a university where we can be ourselves and reach our full potential. We offer a range of family friendly, inclusive employment policies, flexible working arrangements and Staff Support Networks. We welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds, including race, disability, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion and belief, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, and caring responsibility.