About the team/job
EMBL-EBI is an intergovernmental organisation who specialises in managing big data in biology. Growing rapidly over the last decade, EMBL-EBI hosts over 800 members of personnel in two permanent office buildings of different generations and designs, with one temporary office facility and a third permanent office building currently under construction as part of the long-term development of the Wellcome Genome Campus.
EMBL-EBI attracts expertise from across the globe with over seventy different nationalities represented across our staff.
The EMBL-EBI Facilities team have a multifaceted role, supporting staff and hosted collaborators with their office needs and wider activities, especially in regard to wider campus estate services.
The role requires a technical knowledge of hard building services, including HVAC, electrical and plumbing systems to ensure the buildings are sustainably maintained through preventative and reactive maintenance via 3rd party contract management.
You will successfully deliver and contract manage the estates and facilities services agreed with our estate services providers and landlord, including the planning and budgeting for refurbishment, lifecycle and development projects.
The role incorporates understanding of facilities demand, utilisation and trends with the management and tracking of facilities tools, such as CAFM, OfficeSpace and third party reporting. You will be required to interpret and consolidate the varied information received to compile reports for differing levels of EMBL and EMBL-EBI management.
Education & qualifications
- Level 3 (or equivalent) Facilities Management qualification
- Ideally, minimum three years in a technical facilities role
- 3rd party contract management experience
Functional competencies & technical skills
- Technical knowledge of hard building services, including HVAC, electrical and plumbing systems
- Working knowledge of CAFM systems
- Suitable IT skills and Microsoft Office competencies
Interpersonal & communication skills
- Hands-on approach and task-oriented
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with colleagues, contractors and key stakeholders
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with proven ability to work collaboratively.
- Able to find pragmatic solutions and adapt to changing situations
You might also have
Education & Qualifications
- Contract management training (e.g. NEC)
- NEC contract management experience
- CAD software
Why join us
Do something meaningful
At EMBL-EBI you can apply your talent and passion to accelerate science and tackle some of humankind’s greatest challenges. EMBL-EBI, part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory, is a worldwide leader in the storage, analysis and dissemination of large biological datasets. We provide the global research community with access to publicly available databases and tools which are crucial for the advancement of healthcare, food security, and biodiversity.
Join a culture of innovation
We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus, alongside other prominent research and biotech organisations, and surrounded by beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. This is a highly collaborative and inclusive community where our employees enjoy a relaxed atmosphere. We are committed to ensuring our employees feel valued, supported and empowered to reach their professional potential.
Enjoy lots of benefits:
- Financial incentives: Monthly family, child and non-resident allowances, annual salary review, pension scheme, death benefit, long-term care, accident-at-work and unemployment insurances
- Flexible working arrangements
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family (including all prescriptions and generous dental & optical cover)
- Generous time off: 30 days annual leave per year, in addition to eight bank holidays
- Relocation package including installation grant (if required)
- Campus life: Free shuttle bus to and from work, on-site library, subsidised on-site gym and cafeteria, casual dress code, extensive sports and social club activities (on campus and remotely)
- Family benefits: On-site nursery, 10 days of child sick leave, generous parental leave, holiday clubs on campus and monthly family and child allowances
- Benefits for non-UK residents: Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance.
What else you need to know
- Contract duration: This position is a 3 year fixed-term contract, renewable up to 9 years.
- International applicants: We recruit internationally and successful candidates are offered visa exemptions. Read more on our page for international applicants.
- Diversity and inclusion: At EMBL-EBI, we strongly believe that inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation and creative thought. We encourage applications from women, LGBTQ+ and individuals from all nationalities.
- Job location: This role is based in Hinxton, near Cambridge, UK. You will be required to relocate if you are based overseas and you will receive a generous relocation package to support you.
- How to apply: To apply please submit a cover letter and a CV through our online system. We aim to provide a response within two weeks after the closing date.