About the team/job
The Course and Conference Office (CCO) is responsible for the operational fulfilment of EMBL’s mission to provide exemplary training for the life sciences, making the laboratory the leading learning and meeting place for biologists in Europe. Join the team that delivers world-class courses, conferences and workshops at the forefront of molecular biology, primarily at the striking Advanced Training Centre. EMBL’s purpose-built venue, the ATC is centred on a large conference auditorium, wet laboratories and computer-based training rooms, complete with social spaces designed to foster networking and collaboration.
Our events marketing team is currently growing to support EMBL’s programme of events and we are looking for a marketing professional who combines the solid operational skills to generate audiences and promote our courses, conferences and events through established channels, with the ideas and creativity to grow our future reach. The team also monitors and reports on quality, effectiveness and impact of the programme and has a broader remit to promote the external training activities of all 6 EMBL sites. You would join us in the coming months, reinforcing the team as we step up communications about our programme of hybrid conferences and continue to advance in transferring some of the exciting advantages, and wider audiences, from our virtual experiences into the onsite programmes.
The post is based in Heidelberg with the team currently moving to a flexible, hybrid working model as access to our offices is restored.
- Management of digital and print marketing communications for campaigns, including emails, posters and paid advertisements
- Creation, population and upkeep of event websites via content management systems
- Statistical analyses and presentations (e.g. delegate feedback questionnaires, event statistics, web analytics, user behaviour)
- E-mail marketing and coordination
- Producing content for the EMBL Events Blog
- Population and maintenance of our virtual event software
- Proof reading (English fluent proficiency preferred)
- Database management
- Social media posts and content production
- On-site marketing during events (taking photos, preparing slides, networking activities)
- Working with the EMBL Communications team, internal and external suppliers to produce marketing materials and execute campaigns for the events
- Video production
- Actively contributing to projects and working groups to advance the continuous development of the CCO
- Administrative functions necessary to the post
There may be an occasional requirement to work at evenings and weekends in support of the programme.
The candidate appointed should have a university degree or relevant professional qualifications. The CCO needs enthusiastic and dependable team players with impressive abilities to self-organise and prioritise. You’ll need to be a good communicator to work with your CCO colleagues, our customers and fellow service providers at EMBL. Ideal candidates will already have at least 12 months of practical experience in marketing of events.
- Full fluency in English
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office and the Adobe Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign)
- Experience with email campaign software (MailChimp), project management (Asana) and marketing web and mobile applications
- Experience working with databases and content management systems (WordPress)
- Experience with various social media platforms, HTML, Google Analytics, Google Ads, Facebook Ads and Twitter Ads
- Excellent time-management skills with the ability to multi-task and perform under pressure
- Adept communicator and relationship builder
- Excellent attention to detail
- Experience with virtual event platforms is a bonus
You might also have
- A good command of an additional European language, especially German.
Why join us
Working for EMBL gives you an opportunity to apply your skills and energy for the greater good. EMBL is curiosity-driven, community-oriented and international. Competitive salary, a relaxed culture, ongoing professional development, an on-site nursery, canteen and library all make EMBL a great place to work. EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment.
The Course and Conference Office team is international, creative and collaborative in character. A warm welcome from a motivated and ambitious team of skilled events organisers and events marketing professionals awaits the right candidate. Our key internal service partners are reliable and responsive in-house teams who operate to the highest standards. Our cutting-edge scientific programme and content comes from our committees and faculty, whilst events production, administrative support and financial management all sit within the CCO, freeing the marketing team to focus on promoting our conferences and training courses. We enjoy clear scientific leadership and direction at a senior level from our parent unit: EICAT-External Training.
What else you need to know
We are Europe’s flagship research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with approx. 2 000 employees from many nations, operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (HQ), Barcelona, Hinxton near Cambridge, Hamburg, Grenoble and Rome.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review. The pathway for Course and Conference Office staff at EMBL is commonly up to three consecutive three-year contracts, with clear progression opportunities within the team.
EMBL is a signatory of DORA. Find out how we implement best practices in research assessment in our recruitment processes here.
First round of virtual interviews is planned for Thurs 4 and Fri 5 Aug, with tentative follow up on site interviews on Thurs 18 and Fri 19 Aug.