39.0 Hours per Week
Expected Start Date:
Expected End Date:
About the team/job
ELIXIR is seeking a Technical Project Officer for a period of 6-12 months to join the dynamic and international Project Management team at the ELIXIR Hub in Hinxton, UK. (Longer term the intention will be to hire someone for this position on a renewable staff member contract (9 years).
The main purpose of this role is to increase the capacity of the ELIXIR Project Management Office (PMO) to fulfil the needs of our growing and successful portfolio of externally funded projects (Horizon 2020, Horizon Europe, EU4Health and Digital Europe). In the last eight years, ELIXIR has submitted 10 grants applications with ELIXIR Hub as the project coordinator, with 100% of the applications being funded. The ELIXIR Hub has been included as a project beneficiary in a further 30 grant applications during that same period with an 80% funding rate.
As a Technical Project Officer you will provide support to the team of Project Managers in the ongoing management and reporting of awarded grants, including ELIXIR-STEERS (2024-2027, €4M) and EOSC-ENTRUST (2024-2027, €5M) (among other grants), and will support pre-award activities including the preparation of competitive proposals for strategic ELIXIR projects.
The main duties and responsibilities are as follows:
- Communicate with other ELIXIR Hub teams to gather and maintain administrative information required for continuous project monitoring and reporting
- As required, work closely with the EMBL-EBI Grants Office in the process of submitting, negotiating and managing awarded grants
- Support senior PMO colleagues to ensure that project deadlines, targets and objectives are successfully achieved by providing support, proactive management and guidance to the project(s) Managing Board, Work Package Leaders, beneficiaries and participants;
- Support senior PMO colleagues with the effective day-to-day management of project risks and opportunities including project performance indicators, issues log, change management log and risk register
- Support senior PMO colleagues to drive the planning and budget processes, assemble and analyse metrics and outcomes, ensure that all reporting requirements are meet and that allocated resources are fully utilised
- Support senior PMO colleagues to effectively manage changes in the large consortium, including in terms of project partners, tasking and resources
- Organise scheduling, organisation and delivery of physical and virtual meetings
- Support the development and submission of future grant proposals
- Contribute to the management and delivery of other/additional ELIXIR Hub projects and work-packages
- Represent ELIXIR, as appropriate, in interactions with internal and external stakeholders such as the European Commission, IHI and projects consortium members
- While not mandatory, the ideal candidate will have a university degree in life-science, computer science, engineering or another quantitative discipline with experience of working in a high-paced professional/academic research environment
- Project management experience, with proven ability to effectively interact with multiple stakeholders to deliver results
- Experience and understanding of research infrastructure environments is a strong asset
- Experience in supporting and preparing grant applications and multi-party collaborations would be advantageous
- A high level of literacy is required with documented ability to effectively communicate with excellent verbal and written English. Working knowledge to a professional level of additional European languages is a strong asset for the role
- Solid knowledge of Google Suite (Shared Drives, Sheets, Docs, Slides) and MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) is required
You might also have
- Active certification in Project Management e.g. PMP, PM2
- Coordination of all phases of EC/IHI project management processes;
- Understanding of project management processes
- The ability to communicate at a professional level in a second european language
Why join us
Do something meaningful
ELIXIR unites Europe’s leading life science organisations in managing and safeguarding the increasing volume of data being generated by publicly funded research. It coordinates, integrates and sustains bioinformatics resources across its member states and enables users in academia and industry to access services that are vital for their research.
The ELIXIR Hub has a strong organisational culture which is defined by our core values. To ensure a good fit with our team, we look to recruit candidates who share our five values:
- We work to benefit everyone
- We are trusted
- We work with a spirit of openness
- We strive for excellence
- We work in an environment of respect
Enjoy lots of benefits:
- Flexible working arrangements
- Generous time off: 30 days annual leave per year, in addition to eight bank holidays
- Relocation package including installation grant (if applicable)
- Campus life: Free shuttle bus to and from work, on-site library, subsidised on-site gym and cafeteria, casual dress code, extensive sports and social club activities (on campus and remotely)
- Family benefits: On-site nursery, 10 days of child sick leave, generous parental leave, and holiday clubs on campus
- Benefits for non-UK residents: Visa exemption
What else you need to know
- Salary: Monthly salary from £2,866.71 (tax free)
- Contract Type: Supernumerary. The salary stated is exempt from UK tax but applicants will be required to pay National Insurance Contributions
- Contract Duration: This position is a 6-12 month absence cover, based on the candidates availability.
- International applicants: We recruit internationally and successful candidates are offered visa exemptions. Read more on our page for international applicants.
- Diversity and inclusion: At Elixir, we strongly believe that inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation and creative thought. We encourage applications from women, LGBTQ+ and individuals from all nationalities.