Location: South Kensington
The Department of Materials at Imperial College London delivers world-leading research and scholarship in all areas of Materials Science and Engineering. We provide a creative and supportive environment where students receive first-class training, postdoctoral researchers develop independence and all staff realise their full potential. Our vision is to deliver world-leading research, teaching and scholarship in all areas of Materials Science and Engineering. The department is part of the Faculty of Engineering. You will find further details here: http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/materials
The post holder will be a key contributor to the efficient administration and day-to-day running of the Department of Materials, supporting all purchasing and recruitment processes. To do this, the post holder will work closely with the Department Resource Manager and provide excellent customer service to all members of the Department and external suppliers.
They will help to streamline new processes and procedures and provide a range of support services to an agreed quality standard and specification. The role requires a working knowledge of system-based processes and the operations environment, and has a specific responsibility for a clearly defined section of work in the Department of Materials. Independence, initiative and a positive attitude will be required to react to regularly changing priorities, using a constructive and problem-solving approach.
- Providing a comprehensive purchasing administrative service to the Department of Materials, including academic and teaching staff, research staff, research students, and Professional, Technical and Operational staff.
- Conducting all established compliance checks to ensure purchase orders are raised in accordance with College purchasing policies. These checks include, but are not limited to, the description of products, account codes, supplier details, currency and VAT, and available balances.
- Approving purchase orders up to a defined value, ensuring orders over a set threshold have been approved by the Purchasing Team.
Recruitment and Appointments
- Placing job descriptions and adverts, after checking documents on to the College recruitment systems, as well as arranging to place ads on jobs.ac.uk.
- Raising purchase orders for certificate of sponsorships and advertising for posts.
- Using College recruitment systems, circulating short lists to the recruiting chair and Resource Manager after the post-closing dates.
- Educated to A level standard (or equivalent) and have relevant experience in a similar role.
- Demonstrable administrative experience within a large organisation, preferably within Higher Education.
- Experience of working in a client-driven environment.
- Competent approach to an understanding of using various established tools and online system to ensure accuracy of the output.
- An understanding of the UK Higher Education sector.
- Experience of working with a variety of stakeholders which may include students, staff, public organisations and private industry.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply, we will particularly welcome applications from minority groups.
Informal enquiries may be directed to Mrs Daraksahn Khan, Department Resources Manager in the Department of Materials, ([email protected]).
For technical issues when applying online please email [email protected]
Committed to equality and valuing diversity.
We are also an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Stonewall Diversity Champion, a Two Ticks Employer, and are working in partnership with GIRES to promote respect for trans people.
Closing date: 21 September 2023