About the team/job
EMBL is seeking a Data Protection Coordinator to join the Data Protection Office.
The DPC will actively participate in a portfolio of activities / projects, including the Heidelberg Mannheim Health and Life Science Alliance, a newly formed innovation campus between Heidelberg University with its two Medical Faculties, the University Clinics in Heidelberg and Mannheim, the German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ), the Max-Planck Institute for Medical Research (MPImF), the Central Institute of Mental Health (ZI), and EMBL. Cross-institutional programmes to foster scientific excellence are the basis for its vision: to develop the Rhine-Neckar region into a leading international cluster for life sciences, health care and medical technology.
You work closely with the IT-security teams of all EMBL-sites with a strong focus on data protection. You will liaise with the IT-Department. You will mainly be responsible for the planning and coordination of data protection requirements with the information security measures in EMBL, but also in the relation with data processing in internal and external scientific projects.
You have a deep technical understanding and you are the internal contact person for all data protection technical and organisational matters, and also for all data security topics on site.
- analyse and implement the relevant data protection regulations as well as to update and optimise ongoing of data protection processes for EMBL
- help to develop and adapt data protection concepts as well as data protection and data security guidelines, and circulars within the framework of the principles laid down by the Data Protection Officer
- participate in the development, implementation and supporting of the regulations for all necessary measures on the subjects of “data protection and IT security”
- Contributing to the development and implementation of measures to protect information and personal data
- Supporting the implementation and review of organisational guidelines on site security, information security and data protection
- Your responsibilities include the coordination of measures for information and data protection
- Evaluation and review of necessary documents in the security area (e.g. risk analyses, security concepts, etc.)
- prepare and participate in (data protection) assessments, questionnaires and interviews
You will report to the Data Protection Officer.
Education / Skills:
- Relevant Computer Science or Master of Laws (or equivalent)
- Solid proven experience in the field ideally with minimum of 3 years in managing and auditing corporate IT-projects
- Data protection expertise – technical, organizational & legal in the context of clinical health data
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Fluency in German and English
You might also have
- Previous work experience gained in international and/or life sciences environment is advantageous
Why join us
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family and the availability of an excellent child care facility on campus.
What else you need to know
We are Europe’s flagship research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with more than 1700 employees from many nations, operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (HQ), Barcelona, Hinxton near Cambridge, Hamburg, Grenoble and Rome.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed up to 9 years in total, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.