At the University of Vaasa we have an open mind and we want to build a sustainable future. We are a university that invests in high-quality research and teaching and takes on the challenges of our time. We educate responsible and internationally-oriented leaders and experts. We are known for the high quality of our education and our inspiring teachers. At the core of our university is a high level of expertise in business studies, technology, administrative sciences and communication. The discipline-specific research is complemented by our phenomenon-based research platforms.
We are now inviting applications for a Tenure Track position in Strategy offering an excellent opportunity to build a versatile academic career as a part of our internationally renowned and innovative community. The position will be filled either as a fixed-term Assistant or Associate Professor position within the Tenure track system, or as permanent employment as Full professor. The level is determined by the applicant’s merits and career stage.
The position is located in the School of Management and the research profile and activities of the position are connected to the Stategic Business Development research group. In addition, the research will be oriented to one of the themes of our three multi-disciplinary research platforms: energy and sustainable development, digital economy, and innovation and entrepreneurship.
Job description and requirements
The field of the position is strategy. We welcome various theoretical and methodological approaches in research on strategy and strategy work, but especially invite applications focusing on strategy in firms that are transitioning towards digitalization, servitization, and digital servitization. Research could focus on questions such as how various macro-level changes in the business environment shape the landscape of strategy work or strategy content, how digitalization is shaping business models, how digital technologies are utilized in strategy work, how new strategies emerge in rapidly evolving landscapes, and the sociomaterial aspects of strategizing in organizations.
The ideal research profile strengthens and complements existing research at the University of Vaasa in the areas of digital servitization, strategic change, strategy work, platforms and ecosystems, and sustainability. The desired areas of expertise and interest ideally include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Servitization, product-service systems, digital transformation, product-service innovation in technology companies
- Business models, business model innovations, business model configurations
- Strategic change, strategy-as-practice, strategy work, strategy processes
- Dynamic capabilities, strategic capabilities
- Ecosystems, firm boundaries, networks
The Tenure track position is research-oriented, but also includes teaching, thesis supervision, seeking external funding for research projects and university administrative tasks. The teaching and supervision of the position is intended to support the Bachelor’s Programme in Management, the Master’s Programme in Strategic Business Development, and the University’s Doctoral Programme.
Applicants are required to have an appropriate doctoral degree together with excellent academic merits, evidence of the potential to produce high-quality research, as well as evidence or the potential to produce high-quality teaching. For the position of Professor, practical non-academic experience in the field is not required but can be considered beneficial. For further detailed information about the requirements and our Tenure track procedure, please see: www.uwasa.fi/en/tenure-track
Salary and benefits
We invest in our employees’ occupational well-being by offering comprehensive occupational health care. This includes extensive medical care and preventive measures such as ergonomical check-ups, fitness and culture vouchers, and a multitude of other activities to support well-being at work. Our flexible working times and options such as blended home/campus working contribute to work-life balance. Our commitment to support the career development of our personnel is visible in the broad offering of training and competence development opportunities.
The salary is based on the Finnish University Salary System (YPJ) and subject to regular reviews. The annual starting salary incl. holiday bonuses is approx.
- Assistant Professor: €48,800 – € 52,800
- Associate Professor: €56,300 – € 60,900
- Professor: €68,000 – € 82,900
Each University of Vaasa employee automatically belongs to a pension scheme and the majority part of the pension contributions is paid by the employer. We also pay bonuses for publications accepted in high-ranking outlets. For employees moving to Finland from abroad, paid relocation services are available.
More information about University of Vaasa (uwasa.fi)
Applications are submitted using the University of Vaasa’s electronic recruitment system (See the ‘Submit an application’ button below). In order for applications to be processed, the application form must be filled out (incl the level of Tenure track position you are applying for) and the enclosures listed below must be attached to it. The application period is open until midnight (Finnish time, GMT +3hrs) 15.8.2022.
1. Attachments in English (Guidelines: Application attachments | University of Vaasa (uwasa.fi)):
- Curriculum vitae
- List of publications
- Research plan (max 5 pages): the research plan should detail the ways in which the candidate would direct their research from the perspective of their own discipline towards one of the research platforms’ programmes. The plan must include a description of the phenomena concerned, the perspective on the applicant’s own subject and the added-value to be realised from analysing the phenomena as well as possible partners. lt is beneficial if the plan also includes potential sources of external financing (programmes or similar) and a publication plan.
- Teaching portfolio (complementary to the teaching merits listed in the CV)
2. In addition, numbered according to the above publication categories:
- Copies of no more than 10 publications that the applicant wishes to be taken into account when evaluating their competence and qualifications. The publications can, if needed, be merged into a maximum of 7 pdf-files.
- Starting date as agreed. The appointment is subject to the satisfactory completion of a trial period of 6 months.
- More information about the position:
- Adam Smale, Dean, School of Management, email: adam.smale(a)uwasa.fi.
- Kaisu Piirainen, Vice-Director, Faculty and Management Services, email: kaisu.piirainen(a)uwasa.fi.
- Inquiries about the online application system: careers(a)uwasa.fi
Please note that due to the summer holiday season, we will respond to queries until beginning of July and after that again in August.
The University of Vaasa is located on the West coast of Finland at the heart of Northern Europe’s largest energy and environment business cluster. The University of Vaasa is well positioned to interact actively with the surrounding society – internationally, nationally and regionally. Our community includes 5,000 students and 500 employees from 80 countries. More information about: