Location: London, Devon House (St Katharine Docks)
Term: Full time, Permanent. For T&S track, we can also consider fractional appointments.
Salary: £38,000-£45,000 per annum for Assistant Professor; up to £60,000 per annum for Associate Professor. Consideration will be given for a higher salary for an exceptional candidate in this subject area.
Benefits: Generous benefits package including 25 days holiday allowance pro rata (excl. Bank holidays), group life assurance, group income protection, pension schemes and private healthcare (optional)
Start: Flexible but no later than 1 November 2023
Northeastern University London wishes to appoint an Assistant or Associate Professor in Finance & Accounting (either Teaching & Research (T&R) or Teaching & Scholarship (T&S) track).
The appointee will contribute to the teaching (and research, if on T&R track) activities of Northeastern University London in the area of Finance & Accounting.
Applicants should specify whether they are applying for the Teaching and Research track (40% teaching, 40% research, 20% service) or the Teaching and Scholarship track (80% teaching and related study, 20% service). Applicants may indicate if they wish to be considered for both.
We wish to appoint a specialist in Finance & Accounting. Preference may be given to research-active candidates. Preference may also be given to candidates with active interests in the relationship of Finance & Accounting to one or more of the following areas: software and/or technology; employment contexts; diversity and inclusion. Teaching competency in Financial Accounting & Reporting to at least Level 4 (1st year undergraduate) is required for either track.
Core duties will include teaching on a range of courses, carrying out academic research (T&R contract only), and service to the institution. At the Associate Professor level, the candidate may be expected to perform line management duties. The courses offered in this subject area in 2023-24 will include Financial Accounting & Reporting (L4), Finance I (financial markets), and Finance II (corporate finance) (L6). In future years, the University will also offer Financial Management (L5), Corporate Finance (L6), and Fintech and Financial Innovation (L6). The candidate is also likely to supervise undergraduate dissertations.
Northeastern University London will be launching a new BSc Business degree in September 2023, and the postholder will be an active participant in establishing this new degree as a key part of the University’s provision in its initial years.
We particularly encourage applications from those with an interest in innovative teaching, learning and assessment; those with experience of supporting a wide variety of students; and those belonging to groups underrepresented in UK higher education. We are open to appointing on a reduced fraction/job-share basis subject to our business needs.
In the first instance, the appointee will work in a multidisciplinary team within the Faculty of Social Sciences. The Faculty has approximately 50 academic staff, including academics in Economics, Business, Marketing, and Finance & Accounting. The quality of teaching in the Faculty is high, as evidenced, for example, through scores in the National Student Survey and External Examiner reports. Research is supported by the University’s central research structures, and the Faculty is represented on the University’s active Research Committee.
About the University
Based in the heart of London, Northeastern University London has developed a reputation for delivering an excellent university experience and has exceeded all Russell Group universities for overall student satisfaction in the UK’s National Student Survey for four consecutive years (NSS 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022).
Small by design, Northeastern University London offers a vibrant, collegiate community delivering broad and academically rigorous degree programmes, designed to equip graduates with the combination of skills and knowledge that are increasingly desired by organisations, employers and society.
Northeastern University London is part of Northeastern University’s Global Campus Network. Ranked #44 in the USA, Northeastern has campuses in Arlington, Boston, Charlotte, Miami, Oakland, San Jose, and Seattle in the USA, and Toronto and Vancouver in Canada.
Informal enquiries may be made to Dr Marianna Koli, Dean for Education in Business and Economics ([email protected]). However, all applications must be made in accordance with the application process specified.
Applications should be made via the jobs.ac apply button (above) by 23:59 on the 12th of July 2023. Please reference your application “AAPTRFA0623”.
Please ensure that your application includes a CV and cover letter that sets out concisely and in ways relevant to this role: (a) what your priorities would be in performing the advertised role; (b) what your objectives are for your future career; (c) a statement of your approach to education. You can consult our academic job description by clicking the button below.
Interviews are expected to commence the week beginning on the 31st of July 2023.
Participation in the equal opportunities section is encouraged, but voluntary. Applications are welcome from all sections of the community and will be judged on merit alone. We welcome applications from underrepresented groups. Candidates must be able to demonstrate their eligibility to work in the UK in accordance with the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006. There is the possibility of sponsorship.
Person Specification Criteria
- PhD completed, or near completion (all but dissertation), or equivalent professional experience, in a relevant area.
- A teaching qualification (FHEA or equivalent).
- Demonstrates, through evidence, excellent ability so as to be adaptable, innovative, and inclusive in the role as advertised with regards to teaching, research (T&R contract only), and service.
- T&R contract only: Willingness and ability to undertake world-leading collaborative, impact-focused projects, and large external research bids, involving colleagues across a range of disciplines as well as external partners.
- Flexibility and capacity to teach across a wide range of courses, where appropriate in collaboration with specialists from other disciplines including Business, Economics, Mathematics, and/or Academic Writing.
- Ability to develop excellent educational provision in areas with significant appeal to students, including at postgraduate level.
- Willingness and capacity to undertake continuous professional development in relation to the use of technology, software, and data in relation to Finance & Accounting, and to teach on these matters.
- Ability to engage and develop working relationships with external partners and with colleagues across diverse disciplines in Northeastern University London and across the NU Network.
- Willingness and capacity to exercise appropriate leadership in the development of Finance & Accounting, and to do so through collaboration with a range of disciplines.
- Teaching competency in Financial Accounting & Reporting to at least Level 4 (1st year undergraduate).