Applications are invited for the full-time post of Acquisitions and Metadata Services Officer within our Library Services department. You will play a key role within our innovative Content and Discovery Team to help deliver a range of day-to-day services which underpin the work of the library. This will include providing purchasing support to librarians and academic staff, contributing to projects which support our Special Collections, and carrying out processes and technical solutions to help maintain our gold-standard acquisitions, reading list and metadata services.
Our team primarily buys and manages book material for students, staff and researchers at Imperial College London, and has been at the forefront of adopting and developing sector-leading systems and processes over the last few years. As Acquisitions and Metadata Services Officer you will be responsible for operating end-to-end purchasing, metadata and stock processes which ensure we have access to the best evidence-based, user-driven and staff-selected resources which support the crucial work which goes on across the university.
Duties and responsibilities
You will be responsible for carrying out a wide range of process- and project-based duties which support the work of the Library and the wider College. You will:
- provide exemplary assistance in the administration of the Library’s acquisitions services, including responsibility for ordering and managing print and electronic titles for reading lists and subject collections.
- carry out stock management processes such as stock-taking and cataloguing to ensure the library’s print collections are kept up-to-date and in good order, including titles kept within our Special Collections.
- maintain the library catalogue to a high and consistent standard so that all resources are accessible to users in the Library’s online discovery layer.
- manage acquisition, reading list, digitisation, and metadata queries, providing Library and Departmental staff with advice on appropriate solutions.
- build and manage effective relationships with colleagues across the Library
- bring your own ideas to help manage and develop processes within the team, supporting colleagues as necessary.
- Proven track record of providing support within a library, ideally within acquisitions, metadata, special collections or stock management teams.
- Good understanding of metadata creation, management and retrieval
- Proven ability to work as part of a team in the successful delivery of project outcomes.
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and relationship management skills.
This is a full-time, open-ended post.
The supporting statement section should set out how your qualifications, experience and training meet each of the selection criteria. Please provide one or more paragraphs addressing each criterion. The supporting statement is an essential part of the selection process and thus a failure to provide this information will mean that the application will not be considered. An answer to any of the criteria such as “Please see attached CV” will not be considered acceptable.
The College is currently trialling a Work Location Framework until early 2023. Hybrid working may be considered for this role and the role holder may be expected to work 60% or more of their time onsite, with 40% the minimum time spent onsite. The opportunity for hybrid working will be discussed at interview.
Closing date: 13/07/2023